Wednesday, August 20, 2008

This is the Place

Sitting on a bail of hay with our friends Jade and Lucy.
Playing Pioneer Games.


Doing Pioneer Chores. (Why don't they do chores so easily at home)?

We have had so much fun going to "This is the Place Heritage Park". We got a pass to go there this summer. I was a bit ambitious though. I had plans to walk there once a week. It is just up the street, but it is also uphill. It is funny how close things seem when you are in an air conditioned car, and how far when you are walking on a summer day with three kids. The first day of summer we packed up and set off. It took about 45 minutes to get there. This really was not that bad. The bad part came after we had walked around the park for about 4 hours and then started walking home. Anna fell right to sleep in her stroller. Bridget and Abby wished they could do the same. Every time we came to a shady spot of sidewalk we had to stop and rest. On the way home we stopped at the Post Office. The girls sat down on a bench while I stood in line. By the time I was done the girls were both asleep. I didn't know what to do. I was so close to my house but I had three sleeping children and didn't know how to get them home. I had to wake them up and make them walk. We were all so exhausted when we got home. Well all except Anna, who was very well rested.
Needless to say we always drive there now. It is fun to learn more about how people lived in the old days. I always feel grateful for all that I have. I feel like I should not complain so much about living in a small apartment with three kids, especially after seeing some of the small homes and cabins that families with ten kids lived in. Bridget once asked me if I lived like that when I was young. I said "No people did this back in the old days." She said" but mom you lived in the old days, you were born in the 70's". I said "yes but not the 1870's". It's all the same to her though. I guess when you are seven everyone is old.

1 comment:

Mrs. Pectol said...

Those Pectol kids sure are cute! :) I'm glad you're documenting some of our outings - since I have not yet ventured into the world of blogging